Call for Volunteers at State-Level Swimming Championships
“People acting together as a group can accomplish things which no individual acting alone could ever hope to bring about.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
Swimming Queensland, a non-profit organisation and the State body which administers the sport of swimming in Queensland, is inviting you to consider joining our organisation as a volunteer. We currently have a happy band of volunteers who fill a number of key roles at our State-level swim meets but we are looking to increase our numbers.
As with all major sporting events, volunteer involvement is an integral part of our events. A number of our volunteers have been with us for 10 years, and a strong spirit of camaraderie exists among them.
Below are examples of some of the diverse and interesting roles filled by volunteers at our swim meets:
- Ticket & Program Sales
- Pool Safety Marshalls
- Medal Winner Chaperones
- Catering Room
There is no need to have any background in or knowledge of the sport of swimming. New volunteers find themselves in a very supportive environment as they are teamed with an experienced volunteer who will take them under their wing and walk them through everything they need to know. The best part is that you choose how much time and how often you volunteer.
Swimming Queensland conducts four pool Championship meets each year at State level.
- They provide opportunities for swimmers to achieve qualifying times to compete at National level.
- All our swim meets, with the exception of our premier event, the Queensland Championships (see below), are held over a weekend (Saturday & Sunday).
- Morning sessions commence with warm-up at 7.30a.m. and the competition at 9.00a.m. with a lunch break in the middle of the day, and the afternoon sessions finish at approximately 5.00p.m. both days.
Premier event, the Queensland Championships:
- is conducted every December from a Saturday to the following Friday.
- Club and Regional Relay events are conducted on the Saturday, with warm-up at 9.00a.m. and the competition at 10.30a.m. There is a break for lunch in the middle of the day
- The relays finish at approximately 5.00p.m.
- Individual events are conducted from Sunday to Friday
- Morning Heats Session warm-up: 7.30a.m.
- Competition from 9.00a.m. until approximately 1.00 - 2.00p.m. each day
- There is a break until the evening Finals Session with a 4.30p.m. warm-up
- The evening competition starts at 6.00p.m. until approximately 8.30p.m. each night.
Go to the Events/ Event Information page of the website for a list of the Swimming Queensland meet dates for the upcoming season.
Our band of volunteers is also accessed by our national body, Swimming Australia, when they hold their National-level events in Brisbane. These are very high-profile events with a lot of exposure from the media. It’s very exciting being on pool deck with the elite swimmers - best seat in the house!
Swimming Queensland values the volunteers who assist us and excellent catering is provided throughout our meets as an expression of gratitude.
Volunteers are also provided with attractive polo shirts featuring the Swimming Queensland logo and name badges.
Each volunteer is also reimbursed a set amount at each meet to cover travelling expenses.
There are other great rewards to be gained from volunteering:
- learn new skills and experience new challenges, or share your talents with others;
- gain skill acquisition and experience (a valuable addition to a CV and an opportunity to obtain a written or verbal reference);
- have fun and meet new people; and
- gain a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
Whether you are a young person, a senior, or in between, or whether you are retired, in work, or a student, we hope that you will give favourable consideration to helping us.
If you are interested, please contact the Events Manager, Vicki Patten, by email or on 3390 2011
We look forward to hearing from you and having you become a valuable member of our team. You won’t be disappointed!